Hosting out of town guests soon? Going the extra mile when hosting out-of-town guests can be both affordable and reflect the charms of our town. Here are some handy tips I like to share with those who have friends staying in the wonderful Annapolis area.
For the guest room:
- Clear out a nice space for your guests items. Even a section of a closet or a dedicated set of shelves / drawers will help them feel welcome.
- Fresh flowers are a great way to make an average guest room seem like a little dose of “B&B” treatment.
- Provide local information on the nightstand; local maps, history, and points of interest are great ideas.
- Giving guests a spare set of keys and showing them how to use the alarm (if you have one) is a great way to make sure they can come and go as they please.
- People are often starving after a long day on the road! Have some food available as soon as your friends arrive.
- Let them know “what’s mine is yours” right away. Books, blankets, whatever they need. Don’t assume they’ll ask or feel comfortable with your possessions.
While they’re staying:
- Take them food shopping at a local specialty store. If they like to cook, plan to make a meal together. It can be intimate, relaxing, and affordable.
- Go beyond the tourist destinations! Show them “how locals do.”
- If they drink, offering a little “wind me down” cocktail at night is nice.
- If it doesn’t break the bank, find small, local souvenir you can send them home with.
Best wishes, Pat Ogle - Associate Broker, CRS, GRI, ePRO, MCJ